Cold brew coffee is a favorite of mine. It is sweet and smooth. And it lasts well in the fridge for up to two weeks. Here’s how to make cold brew coffee.
Table of Contents
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee
- Time to first sip: 12 to 24 hours
- Type of Coffee: Rich flavor and super smooth body
- Coffee grind: Coarse to Super Coarse
- Gear required: Cold brew maker, stirring spoon
- Difficulty: Easy, but requires patience
Cold Brew Tips: Don’t use fine grind coffee for this method. It could negatively affect the flavor of your cold brew and would be hard to filter out.
If you’ve never tried making cold brew coffee, you don’t know what you’re missing. It’s not the same thing as iced coffee, which is coffee that’s been brewed hot and then chilled.
Cold Brew Steep Time
Cold brew coffee is coffee that’s been steeped slowly with cold water for 12 to 24 hours. It results in a coffee concentrate that is usually diluted when you drink it.
Because cold brew coffee is made with cold water instead of hot, the coffee acids and oils are not as soluble as they are in hot water which results in a more smooth and mellow brew with no bitterness. It is also much less acidic, making it gentler for those with sensitive stomachs.
Making cold brew coffee is easy. You can even do it with a mason jar, but using a cold brew maker gives you the ability to make a large batch that can last you up to two weeks.
Cold Brew Coffee Recipe
- Add your coarsely ground coffee to the cold brew maker using a 1:4 or 1:5 ratio. For example one cup of coarse ground coffee to 4 cups of filtered water.
- Pour the water in slowly so that the grounds don’t suddenly float up and run over the brim.
- Once the carafe fills with the coffee and water mixture, stir it with a spoon. Many cold brew makers come with a spoon attachment, but you can use a long wooden one as well.
- Allow the coffee to cold brew between 12 and 24 hours. You can brew it at room temperature on the counter or in the refrigerator. I like to brew mine in the fridge.
- After the brewing process is complete, you will have a strong coffee concentrate that you can keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
To enjoy drinking your cold brew, you can dilute it with water or milk.
You can add spices, flavors and other ingredients to make a variety of coffee drinks. Or, you can simply heat it up and drink it hot if you wish.
Here are the words you’ll need to describe the taste, body, and aroma of your coffee.
Learn more about making big batch cold brew from TheKitchn.
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee (Video)
Next, you’ll see how to make cold brew coffee at home.
Cold brew is similar to iced coffee. Here are three ways to make iced coffee at home.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Bryan Haines is a co-founder and writer on Tasty Plate – and is working to make it the best food blog in the world.
While living in South America, Bryan enjoyed learning about new foods and preparation methods. Back in Nova Scotia, he enjoys growing food in the backyard. And then preparing it with traditional (and non-traditional) methods and ingredients.
He is also co-founder of Storyteller Media, a company he started with his wife, Dena.